My ecological footprint was 4.21 Earths.
Carbon footprint = 45.9
Food footprint = 52.6
Housing footprint = 31.4
Goods & Services footprint = 33.4
Total = 163.35
I don't think my size was too large, all my scores were below the country's average but it could be because I eat alot of organic foods & my house has many energy-saving appliances along with our newly installed solar panels.
To reduce my footprint I could probably try being vegan again, I did it for 3 weeks straight but it was really hard & got expensive. Also, I could probably take shorter showers. I tend to take really long ones because I just love the shower, it's so relaxing. :) We have endless hot water installed and it's energy efficient so my showers aren't completely horrible, but they could be better.
I do care somewhat because I know it does effect the planet & we all wouldn't be living today without it, however, I honestly am not a strong activist for it. I must say though, compared to others I'm a fairly "green" person.
Long term effects could be Global Warming & that's probably why there is so much commotion about it because it could possibly happen with the way many of us abuse our planet.
I think it is fair that people in the U.S. are able to have a larger footprint mainly because we are a very industrialized country & as horrible as this may sound but we need to use a lot of resources to keep daily processes rolling.
I think there will still be stuff left over, it's been okay for many years now.
We probably should care because I have learned in my economics class last semester that most people are very short-sighted & only see the immediate effects when really we should be taking in secondary effects or a summation of what could really happen. It is a privilege to live on this planet but many take it for granted & don't really appreciate the earth we live on.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment