Sunday, February 8, 2009

Conservation of Species

I believe we should conserve species that are the most vital to our society, in which they provide the most benefits. Such benefits as food & fuel sources, or those that really aid in the daily processes of our earth. These animals include most domestic ones such cows, chickens, pigs, etc. ,however, I know these are not those that are generally going extinct. I think a species value depends on its benefits & how much it effects other species or the environment in which it lives in. We tend to conserve species that are more appealing to the eye. Species like cute, furry animals like polar bears, dolphins, etc. It's hard to say how we know exactly what species to save & which ones should go ignored. I believe all creatures share importance, if they had no reason to be on this planet they wouldn't have been created in the first place. It could be a natural part of their evolutionary process. It just seems difficult to really let a species just disappear in existence. Thankfully we have the technology & other things to record them in history but it still clearly isn't the same as having their physical presence there. We shouldn't eradicate all introduced species, if we did we would have nothing left. I think one reason we should conserve introduced species is because they provide their own unique beauty & wonder to this earth and without such extraordinary creatures our planet would be so boring. We could have a little more give & take rather than just being the selfish humans that we are and instead considering the others that surround us. I know I sound a bit contradictory throughout this whole post but it's because I don't have a very straightforward or strong opinion on this subject. It's not until now that I really stopped to think about it. So if I sound wishy-washy on this little bit we had to do, that's why.

No comments:

Post a Comment